Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Is it worth it?


Hello, I'm Maria and my topic is Distracted Driving (Texting While Driving). I never agreed with it before, and now after researching it I am strongly against it. I know how much of a problem it is in today's society, and I witness it all the time. Friends will text when I am in the car with them! Even if they are going 60 mph on the high way! Our lives are important. We worry about flights on planes, and other ways of dying, but people still distract themselves while driving, and that is a very high risk for death.

These links will definitely help my research, and they already have. The links even helped me with life decisions, not just for the flash game. It made me want to tell my friends to put the phone down, or to never answer a call when I'm driving. I couldn't believe how many people crash because of this every year. It's almost as if everyone is aware of the issue, but people still do it. It is illegal to use your phone while driving as a minor in West Virginia. I completely agree with that law, yet adults do it as well.

I know teens are more prone to seem as if they are texting all the time, but adults continually talk on the phone, even when driving. There has been countless times where I have seen people of all ages on the phone while driving, and they will either be speeding, or driving UNDER the speed limit. It really is a risk to the people around you. I know that I definitely don't want to die from someone else's carless mistake.

 I recently saw a billboard that says, " Let's get ice cream after I paralyze you. " A short little sentence like that can really make you think. Life is so much more important then texting back your friend and saying " c ya later" or something like that. As necessary as it seems at the moment, it truly isn't. You go through 12 years of high school, and many many years of college to live a long and successful life, and texting would be a terrible way to ruin that. 

So if you're reading this, think before you text. Think before you call. Don't do it. You could save your life or save someone else's life, just by focusing on the road. Put your phone on silent before you get in the car so you aren't tempted to pick it up.

 I hope the game I make puts everything I said into something entertaining and informative. I also hope to make my game neat and effective. I'm not a pro at flash, so I am definitely going to need some help, and time to make my game. So I am glad that we finished this part of the class early, so that we have more time to make our games.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Maria, the one single text message isn't worth your life. I really hate when I'm in the car with someone who is texting. It honestly scares me to death, especially when we are in Weirton where no matter how fast you are going you are always close to another car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I heard you saying in class that most car accidents happen with teen texting while driving. Thats so crazy! I really hate it when people text and drive its so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, This is a very timely topic. I think you could make a really good game of it. We will work together to ensure you can code it.

    ReplyDelete